Fuya Fuya of Mojanda
Mojanda is an inactive stratovolcano whose caldera is occupied by three lagoons:
2km of approximate diameter and perimeter of 7km.
The Laguna Grande is surrounded by some peaks, among which the most outstanding are the Yanahurco to the East and the Fuya Fuya to the West.
Going to Mojanda
Fuya Fuya peak
Nudo de Mojanda Cajas; 38 kilometers in a straight line northeast of Quito; 11 km southwest of the Otavalo downtown.
1) Normal Route Otavalo: Arriving at Otavalo by the Pan-American Hw from Quito, take the road to the left that goes to the "Lagunas de Mojanda". It's necessary to look for a traffic light that allows the crossing to the other lane. The road is stone paved and allows the access for any vehicle until the Laguna Grande. The vehicle is parked as soon as it reaches the lagoon next to a resting roof.
2) Atahualpa Route: A longer and rarely visited route. Take the Guayllabamba – Puellaro – San Jose de Minas road. In Perucho you must turn right towards the village of Atahualpa, this town can be reached by any vehicle. Passing Atahualpa the road starts to get bad, depending on the season you could advance more or less 5 kilometers. The hike follows a mule track that eventually reaches the Fuya Fuya peak and later the Laguna Chiquita.
|Panamerican Hw – Laguna Grande||45min||16km|
|Perucho – Atahualpa||20min||10km|
|Atahualpa – Road End||15min||5km|
- It is usually used a single day to ascend to the summit of this mountain.
- If you don't have private transportation, it's convenient to rent a pickup truck taxi in Otavalo.
- The cobbled road leaves from Otavalo and allows an easy approach for any type of vehicle.
- The Mojanda Lagoons area has the possibility of several adventure activities: between them are some nice hiking and biking routes.
- You can continue by 4×4 from the Laguna Grande to the Yanahurco peak or the Laguna Chiquita; Recommendation for the pilots: learn to swim and probably to dive.
Climbing and Hiking
There are some very attractive hiking trails in the Mojanda Lagoons area:
- Climb to the summit of the Fuya Fuya peak
- Climb to the summit of the Yanahurco peak
- Laguna Grande loop trekking
- Pirámides de Cochasquí to Laguna Chiquita trail
- Malchinguí to Laguna Chiquita trail
- Yanahurco loop trail
- Atahualpa - Laguna Grande trail
- Laguna Grande loop trekking following the summits ridge