A blue water mirror covered by mist and a very persistent rain.
National Park: Parque Nacional Cayambe Coca
Way to Boyeros
Boyeros, Ninarumi in the background
Eastern Cordillera; 37 kilometers in a straight line to the east of Quito. Take the Pifo - Papallacta (E20) highway to the east until you reach the sector known as "La Virgen" in the highest part of the paramo and 4000 meters high; There is a turnoff on the left that goes up to the Papallacta antennas where the trekking to the Boyeros Lagoon begins.
|Antenas de Papallacta Route:|
|La Virgen de Papallacta - Antennas||1.5km||10min|
- The Papallacta paramo is cold and extremely humid; it's suggested to always be warm, with heavy rain protection, and to be very cautious with the fog, which along with the unclear paths have led many people to go astray.
- Some time ago it was possible to fish large trout in this lagoon, unfortunately the overfishing has practically led to its extinction.
- Rubber boots work great for hiking in these swamps.
- It's advised to visit this area on December to February, which are usually drier.
- The Papallacta area is very picturesque.
There are some attractive routes:
- Antennas - Boyeros Lagoon (1 day)
- Antennas - Ninarumi Summit (1 - 2 days)
- Antennas - Parcacocha Lagoon (1 day)
- Antennas - Yuyos Lagoon (1 day)
- Trekking del Agua: Antennas - Parcacocha Lagoon - Baños Lagoon - Reserva Cayambe Coca Refuge - Papallacta Thermal Swimming Pools (1 day)
- Antennas - Nunalviro Lagoon (2 days)