|Virgen de Papallacta||4000m|
A light hike, to enjoy the beauty of the Papallacta zone and return loaded with good energies.
National Park: Cayambe Coca National Park
Way to Boyeros
Boyeros, Ninarumi in the background
Boyeros and the Papallacta Peaks
Eastern Cordillera; 37 kilometers in a straight line east of Quito. Take the Pifo - Papallacta (E20) highway to the east until you reach the highest elevation at 4000 meters, location known as "La Virgen"; There is a turnoff on the left that goes up to the Papallacta Antennas where the hike to the Boyeros Lagoon begins.
|Papallacta - Antennas Route:|
|Quito - La Virgen de Papallacta||50km||1h|
|La Virgen de Papallacta - Antennas||1.5km||10min|
|Antennas - Boyeros Lagoon||3.5km||2h|
- The Papallacta paramo is cold and extremely humid; it's suggested to always be warm, with heavy rain protection, and to be very cautious with the fog, which along with the unclear paths have led many people to go astray.
- Some time ago it was possible to fish large trout in this lagoon, unfortunately the overfishing has practically led to its extinction.
- Rubber boots work great for hiking on these swamps.
- It's advised to visit this area on the months from December to February, which are usually drier.
- The Papallacta area is very picturesque.
There are some attractive routes:
- Antennas - Boyeros Lagoon (1 day)
- Antennas - Ninarumi Summit (1 - 2 days)
- Antennas - Parcacocha Lagoon (1 day)
- Antennas - Yuyos Lagoon (1 day)
- Trekking del Agua: Antennas - Parcacocha Lagoon - Baños Lagoon - Reserva Cayambe Coca Refuge - Papallacta Thermal Swimming Pools (1 day)
- Antennas - Nunalviro Lagoon (2 days)